Ben Hill Health Department Hosts Drive-Thru COVID-19 Vaccine Event
Posted: March 16, 2021 by Kristin Patten
FITZGERALD – The Ben Hill County Health Department will host a drive-thru COVID-19 vaccination event on March 23.
The event will be held from 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.at the health department, located at 251 Appomattox Rd. in Fitzgerald.
Only certain groups qualify for COVID-19 vaccination at this time:
- Healthcare workers (physicians, nurses, laboratory technicians, EMS personnel, environmental services, etc.)
- Adults aged 65+ and their caregivers
- Residents and staff of long-term care facilities
- Law enforcement, firefighters, first responders
- Funeral home workers who come into direct contact with the deceased
- Educators and staff (Pre-K, K-12, DECAL licensed or exempt childcare programs)
- Adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their caregivers
- Parents of children with complex medical conditions
Beginning March 15, the following groups will also qualify, meaning these individuals will also be able to book appointments at the Ben Hill drive-thru event:
- Adults aged 55 and over
- Individuals with disabilities
- Individuals aged 16 years and older with certain medical conditions that increase their risk of severe illness from COVID-19. Note: Pfizer is the only COVID vaccine currently approved for children aged 16 and older.
- Conditions include: Asthma, Cancer, Cerebrovascular Disease, Chronic Kidney Disease, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Diabetes, Hypertension, Heart Conditions, Immunocompromised State, Liver Disease, Neurologic Conditions, Overweight and Obesity, Pregnancy, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Sickle Cell Disease, Thalassemia
Appointments are required for the drive-thru vaccination event. If you are interested in scheduling an appointment, call the health department at 229-426-5288.
Only the Johnson & Johnson (one shot) vaccine will be available during the event. If you are interested in receiving the Moderna vaccine you can schedule an appointment in the health department at another time.
For the most up-to-date information on COVID-19 visit www.southhealthdistrict.com/covid19.