All County Vital Records Offices now have the ability of issuing birth records for anyone born in Georgia since 1919. Previously, records were only available from the county where the birth occurred, but through a new Vital Event Information System, records are now available for births occurring in any Georgia county.
Who can receive a certified copy of a birth certificate?
- The child named on the record, if that person is an adult (18 yrs or older)
- A parent named on the record
- A legal guardian of the child named on the record-must show proof
- A legal representative (attorney) who represents the child on the record
- An adult sibling of the person named on the record
- An adult child of the person named on the record
- A grandparent of the child named on the record-if paternal, father’s name must appear on the certificate
- The spouse of the person listed on the record provided he/she has a certified copy of their marriage license
What must you provide to receive a certified copy of a birth certificate?
The person requesting a certified copy of a birth record must provide the appropriate fee and a signed request that includes the following information:
Through Mail: (Most mail requests are processed and mailed the same day they are received.)
- Full name on the birth certificate
- Date of birth (month, day, year)
- Place of birth (hospital, city, county)
- Full name of mother (include mother’s maiden name)
- Father’s name (if listed)
- Relationship to the person named on the birth certificate request
- Mailing address with phone number
- A photocopy of your picture I.D.
- Enclose a stamped, self addressed envelope
- Enclose cashier’s check or money order made payable to Vital Records for the number of certificates requested
- Must be signed by the person requesting the record
- A photocopy of your picture I.D.*Cashier’s check or money order made payable to Vital Records, or debit/credit cards and cash accepted
What are the fees?
One certified copy $25
Additional certifications of the same record ordered at the same time $5
For information on how to obtain vital records outside Georgia visit http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/w2welcom.htm